Vaccinations and Immunisations
Routine children immunisations are available according to immunisation schedules. Reminder cards are sent from the surgery. When you receive a card you should make an appointment to see the nurse.
Other routine immunisations such as tetanus, influenza and pneumonia are also available via the nursing service.
Routine children’s immunisations:-
- Eight weeks old - 1st Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), polio, Hib and Hep B (known as 6 in 1), 1st Meningitis B and 1st Rotavirus.
- Twelve weeks old - 2nd Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, Hib and Hep B (6 in 1), 2nd Rotavirus and 1st Pneumococcal
- Sixteen weeks old - 3rd Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, Hib and Hep B (6 in 1), and 2nd Meningitis B.
- One year old (on or around the child's 1st birthday)- 1st MMR, Hib, 1st Meningitis C, 2nd Pneumococcal and 3rd Meningitis B.
- 2 and 3 year olds - Influenza- nasal vaccine
- 3 years 4 months -4th Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis and polio, and MMR booster
- 12-13 years old (boys and girls)- Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
- 14 years old (school year 9)- 5th tetanus, diptheria and polio, meningococcal A, C, W and Y
For all of the above vaccinations, reminder letters are sent from the surgery. When you receive a letter you should make an appointment to see the nurse.
Other Routine Immunisations: Tetanus vaccination is given to adults if not immunized before. A course of 3 injections of Diphtheria, Tetanus and Polio are given at monthly intervals. Two additional doses given at 10 yearly intervals should provide lifetime immunity, but you may require a further vaccination after 10 years if you suffer a dirty wound or are travelling abroad. The nurses will provide you with further information should you require.
Pneumococcal Vaccination: are available anytime – it is a once-only vaccination for most over 65’s considered at risk, although some may require a booster after 5 years. Those immuno-suppressed aged 2-64 years are also applicable for this vaccination. We usually send an invitation for this vaccination
Shingles Vaccination: is available anytime – it is a once-only vaccination for patients aged 70 years, through invitation shortly after your 70th birthday